The purpose of the Our Home Community Council is to represent vital functions that support Mount Vernon Unitarian Church on the Program Council and to serve as a liaison to the Board of Trustees for issues that impact continuity of operations.
A Council Chair is elected by the congregation to represent the groups indicated below on the Program Council. The Chair has a liaison function designed to assist the various groups, and to seek resources where needed. It does not convey authority to manage the specific communities.
Structure and Membership
The Our Home Community Council is comprised of the following groups:
- Adult Activities
- Book Nook
- Book Sale
- Caring Associates
- Every Thursday (ET) Group
- Holiday Shop
- Volunteer Receptionists
These groups operate independently, choosing their own methods of recruitment and governance. Some have financial responsibilities that are independent of Mount Vernon Unitarian ChurchC’s budget. Decisions on inclusion of new groups are made by the Mount Vernon Unitarian Church Board of Trustees.
Council Chair Responsibilities
1. Represent interests and issues of home communities on the Program Council.
2. Serve as liaison between the home communities and the Board of Trustees.
3. Ensure that each community has a transition or “continuity of operations” plan in the event that leadership is no longer able to serve. 2/01/2016
4. Provide guidance to ensure that each community function has written procedures that document how functions are carried out. Procedures should include schedules, agendas, activities, and financial processes, where applicable.
5. Promote outreach to new volunteers with a focus on next-generation participants.
6. Ensure that home communities avail themselves of Program Council members to promote, support, and sustain their efforts.
7. Prepare an annual report summarizing the activities, plans, and financial status (where applicable) of each home community as part of the Board of Trustees Annual Report.
Date this Charter was reviewed and approved by the Mount Vernon Unitarian Church Program Council: February 1, 2016
Date this Charter was approved by the Mount Vernon Unitarian Church Board of Trustees: February 9, 2016
To download an hard copy file of this charter, click on the DOWNLOAD button to the right of this page