Saturday November 17, 2012
9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Mount Vernon Unitarian Church
The Holiday Shop is a day-long Bazaar of 50 artisans as well as the popular Country Kitchen featuring savory chutneys and baked goods from the MVUC kitchen; Helene’s Boutique, with upscale resale decorative household items; and the Jewelry Box shop with estate jewelry. So you can shop all day, MVUC volunteers offer a tasty homemade lunch in the Hollin Hall mansion of cheese pie, soup, sandwiches, and dessert for a reasonable price.
The event is sponsored by MVUC’s women’s group — called Every Thursday (E.T). Over the past half century, the event has grown into a huge bazaar that covers the meeting house and the Hollin Hall mansion and includes outdoor craft booths. Unique holiday gifts are available from local artisans, who offer handcrafted pottery, basketry, fiber arts, paper, photography, and jewelry. Colorful orchids and other plants are sold, as well as a variety of international crafts from India, Southeast Asia, and South and Central America. Gingerbread house kits are for sale.
A quilt made by the Church Quilters will be raffled off. Tickets are $1 each or six for $5. A special gingerbread house, too.
Volunteers bake and “can” for a month to supply Country Kitchen with its famous array of chutneys, nut mixes, fudge, peanut brittle, Peruvian sauce, and homemade boursin (garlic) cheese as well as a variety of baked goods including cakes, cookies, quick breads, brownies, and pies. MVUC “ethical eating” cookbooks, as well as aprons and other kitchen items, round out the offerings.
As members and friends of the church we ask the following of you:
- If you are not signed up to volunteer – please do so. There are a large number of things that you can do – small and large. Please call Betty Panick at (703) 643-3151 to volunteer
- PLEASE – bake cakes, pies, cookies, etc. for the Country Kitchen – Betty will give you instructions (should be in Hollin Hall kitchen by 7:00 p.m. Friday)
- Volunteer to be a “clean up” person
- Go through your jewelry box for items (both real and costume items) that can be sold at the Jewelry area. Also scarves, purses, etc. We also need small jewelry boxes, draw string jewelry pouches and “display” items on which to show the jewelry. These should be delivered to the Hollin Hall kitchen with your name on it.
- Donate items to Helene’s Attic – upscale resale decorative household items. Again, these should be delivered to the Hollin Hall kitchen with your name on it.
- Buy raffle tickets for the Quilt and the GingerBread house;
- Join us at the end of the day to “salute the sunset” from the Meeting House patio with wine and cheese.
And, most important
- Come to church on the 17th and enjoy the fun!
Contact: Anne Ulm email@example.com