We are pleased that you are interested in learning more about our ministry of Religious Education (RE) and Lifespan Spiritual Growth (LSG) at Mount Vernon Unitarian Church (MVUC).
Our program provides Religious Education (Sunday school) classes for children and youth from nursery through high school during Sunday services, as well as adult religious education classes, special programming (such as Our Whole Lives, a Coming of Age program and Bridging Ceremonies), and multi-generational events. We are led by the Director of Lifespan Spiritual Growth & Religious Education and the Lifespan Spiritual Growth Council.
For a full list of upcoming Religious Education events, visit the Lifespan Spiritual Growth Programs page
Our mission is to create, design, and offer comprehensive educational and spiritual programs and activities that focus on:
- Modeling and nurturing acceptance of self and others
- Promoting a lifelong journey of education and spiritual growth
We strive to incorporate the UUA’s seven principles into every activity and program.
The objectives of MVUC’s Religious Education and Lifespan Spiritual Growth program are to:
- develop a sense of self worth
- foster an appreciation for religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity
- create a sense of belonging through participation in the MVUC community
- learn responsibility towards others and the environment
- identify with our Unitarian Universalist heritage
- have the opportunity to celebrate the mysteries of life through worship and
- find guidance and support for expressing personal religion in everyday life.
Our program and extracurricular themes are both timely and timeless. We are committed to the timeless themes of Unitarian Universalism, Jewish and Christian heritages, world religions and prophetic visions and actions. We also strive to respond effectively to contemporary issues. Religious education is a life long process. We are on a pilgrimage that is nurtured by being in a community of seekers. As companions on the journey we need each other for sharing our thoughts and wonderings. Your participation enriches us all.