Welcome to Mount Vernon Unitarian Church – A Welcoming Congregation in Alexandria VA
Mount Vernon Unitarian Church is an intentionally welcoming congregation. We invite you to join us in seeking your truth and the common good in spiritual community. Explore your religious questions with us. Our beloved minister is Rev. Dr. Kate Walker.
Being a welcoming congregation means we affirm equal rights for all. Unitarian Universalists have affirmed equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, and transgender (LGBTQ) people since 1970.
As a Welcoming Congregation in Alexandria VA, we have pledged to:
- Honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- Celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- Incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- Affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- Advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality.
We are also a certified green sanctuary, affirming respect for all people and the Earth.
An Active Religious Community Since 1955
For over 60 years, Mount Vernon Unitarian Church has been the home of liberal religion in the Mount Vernon area. We seek a moral, religious, and ethical experience as a community and individually, and to provide a foundation for our children in which they can grow and learn as thoughtful and principled members of society.
Mount Vernon Unitarian Church (MVUC) a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations (UUA) and an active presence in our local community. MVUC enjoys a rich worship environment, a dynamic religious education program for all ages, a wide range of adult activities, a strong social justice program, and a variety of opportunities to enjoy music and the arts.
Read more about the History of Mount Vernon Unitarian Church here.
The Covenant of Mount Vernon Unitarian Church
(These are the words we recite each Sunday as part of our worship service.)
Love is the teaching of this church.
The quest for truth is its daily task,
And service is its prayer.
To dwell together in peace,
To seek knowledge in freedom,
To serve life in community,
To the end that all souls shall grow in harmony.
This is our covenant, With each and with all.
Next Steps: You can listen to a recent sermon or see what is happening Sunday, or plan a visit. See how to contact leaders and staff. To find a directory of groups and activities, check out church life. If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact us.