Why We Give
Mount Vernon Unitarian Church (MVUC) changes lives and works to better our world; it nourishes our spirit. MVUC is where we feel at home, where we connect with others and where our lives are renewed. Our capacity to do all this depends upon the generous stewardship of our members and committed friends. MVUC could not exist without our stewardship.
Stewardship is the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to us. It is much more than individuals and families volunteering or providing a financial commitment to MVUC—it is an act of worship that reflects our human spiritual need to share. Stewardship enables each of us to contribute to the greater whole according to our specific time, talents, skills and financial ability. Stewardship makes it possible for us to experience our own generosity in helping to create something larger and more long lasting than our own individual interests.
At MVUC, we have all been entrusted with something unique and important that does not belong just to us. Those who came before us made possible all that we enjoy today. Those yet to come depend on us to safeguard, grow and pass along these many benefits to them. It is up to each of us to ensure that MVUC continues to blossom and thrive over time.
Thank you to everyone who helps sustain MVUC’s mission and grow our capabilities through your contributions of time, talents and treasure.
Stewardship provides a concrete way to live our values and to have a positive impact locally and globally. Where else could we invest our resources in a way that so clearly represents our values and provides such benefits?
As UU’s we are eager to share our principles with others and to live them in our congregation. Stewardship enables us to:
- Sustain our church staff
- Ensure we are fair and just employers
- Preserve our unique buildings and grounds
- Do our share spreading Unitarian Universalist values worldwide
- Fund programs and initiatives that represent our values, such as:
- Lifespan Spiritual Growth and Religious Education
- Social Justice
- Spiritual and Intellectual Growth
- Member and Leader Development
- Music and the Arts Programs
For more information on our financial commitments and how you can contribute, please visit:
- MVUC Finances – information on our sources and uses of funds.
- Stewardship – why we ask for financial commitments and how to make them.
- Share the Plate – support for charities and social justice causes.
- Legacy Circle – deferred giving to help build our Endowment Fund.
- Partner Churches – support for congregations in Romania and India.
For other alternatives, visit Ways to Give.