Adult Religious Education
The Adult Religious Education (“ARE”) program at MVUC is intended to support and stimulate the life-long process of intellectual and spiritual growth.
See This Week in Adult Re and This Week in Children & Youth RE for information about current and ongoing opportunities.
Classes and workshops are offered in each of Unitarian Universalism’s Six Sources, to which UUs may look for inspiration, enlightenment, and information:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
- Words and deeds of prophetic people which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
- Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
- Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit; and,
- Spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Current course listings may be found on our website, in our weekly newsletter, This Week at MVUC, and in flyers located on the Religious Education table (near the window to the kitchen) in the Commons.
In most cases, classes are conducted by volunteers such as you. If you have an idea or wish to lead a course or want more information, please contact our Director of Lifespan Spiritual Growth, Ann Richards.
Most courses are offered on a semester basis, in the Fall or Spring. Recently offered courses include: 500 Nations, An American in Ethiopia, Be the Change, Building Your Own Theology, Journeys of Race, Laughter Yoga, Long Strange Trip (UU History), Tai Chi, Taoism and the Mind of China, Sitting Meditation, Talking to Kids about Race, Understanding Evolution, YogaDance and, in our rotating Exploring World Religions series which has included Buddhism, Daoism, Hinduism, Islam, Paganism, Judaism, and more.
Ongoing Adult Workshops and Classes include:
- Contemplative Group – Deepen your spiritual life through contemplative practice. A typical session includes selected readings from different traditions, a period of silent meditation, and brief discussions. For more information, contact Jim Kerr.
- TED Talks – Facilitated Discussions – Once a month, we’ll take advantage of the TED website and its focus on “ideas worth spreading.” We’ll view an engaging video lecture and join in facilitated discussion.