The Mount Vernon Unitarian Church Task Force for Social Action on Route 1 reaches out and supports community empowerment programs for the homeless and marginalized population on Richmond Highway (Rt. 1), particularly (but not exclusively) programs undertaken by United Community Ministries (UCM), Ventures in Community (VIC), New Hope Housing, and Habitat for Humanity.
WANT TO GET INVOLVED? TRY ANY OF THE ACTIVITIES BELOW:
- Learn how to support a proposed new shelter for people experiencing homelessness in the Route 1 area. A letter of support and other actions can help an initiative to replace the 100 year old Kennedy Shelter for homeless individuals with a comprehensive, accessible modern facility
- Bring non-perishable food and clothes to church and deposit them in designated baskets in Commons, year around.
- Feed the Homeless (VIC-HOP): This program supports Ventures in Community and ] their projects to help the homeless with food and shelter to prevent hypothermia.
- Purchase backpacks and school supplies in August and September for kids who need a good start to school.
- Participate in the Giving Tree during the month of December. Bring a new, unwrapped toy to church and place it under the giving tree. This collection benefits at risk families on route 1.
- Keep an eye on seasonal flyers announcing special food collections such as Thanksgiving or Easter baskets. They will be placed on the social justice bulletin board at the back of the chapel and on the front window of the church.
More Social Justice