Statement of Conscience
Be it resolved that Mount Vernon Unitarian Church advocates for measures that treat all immigrants, regardless of legal status, justly and humanely, and for an immigration policy that includes the following elements:
- A path to citizenship or legal permanent residency for those already in a country legally or illegally, as well as for those wanting to enter a country;
- Work visas that allow employment and that
- Require the same worker protections applicable to citizens including fair wages, safe and healthful environments, and receipt of benefits;
- Do not depend on a single employer;
- Allow multiple entries;
- Permit entry into the path for citizenship; and
- Provide parity between the number of visas and the work available in the receiving nation.
- Access to the same medical care and education available to citizens;
- Evaluation of human and environmental costs of proposed barriers to immigration or other changes in immigration policy;
- Due process under the law including representation, rights of appeal, and the right to initiate suits;
- Non-deportation of parents with dependent children or partners of documented residents;
- Provision of asylum for refugees and others in fear of violence or retribution; and
- Collaboration with source countries to address underlying causes contributing to immigration.
Originally Posted: 2015/09/07