Be it resolved that Mount Vernon Unitarian Church advocates for measures that treat all immigrants, regardless of legal status, justly and humanely, and for an immigration policy that includes the following elements:
- A path to citizenship or legal permanent residency for those already in a country legally or illegally, as well as for those wanting to enter a country;
- Work visas that allow employment and that
- Require the same worker protections applicable to citizens including fair wages, safe and healthful environments, and receipt of benefits;
- Do not depend on a single employer;
- Allow multiple entries;
- Permit entry into the path for citizenship; and
- Provide parity between the number of visas and the work available in the receiving nation.
- Access to the same medical care and education available to citizens;
- Evaluation of human and environmental costs of proposed barriers to immigration or other changes in immigration policy;
- Due process under the law including representation, rights of appeal, and the right to initiate suits;
- Non-deportation of parents with dependent children or partners of documented residents;
- Provision of asylum for refugees and others in fear of violence or retribution; and
- Collaboration with source countries to address underlying causes contributing to immigration.
Originally Posted: 2015/09/07